Cosmetic products have been in existence for thousands of years –
- In 400 BC, Greek Olympic athletes covered their bodies with a ‘sunscreen’ mixture of sand and oil to protect their skin from the sun!
- The Chinese Cho Dynasty (600 BC) used gum, egg whites, gelatine and beeswax to create nail varnish.
- The use of henna as a hair colorant was first recorded around 1400-1500 BC.
- A soap formula was found written on a Babylonian tablet around 2200 BC.
- Ancient Romans used a mixture of soil and water in their hair, rolled with textiles and baked it in the sun to create temporary waves.
- In 5000 BC the Egyptians made a bath powder from myrhh, the powdered ashes of ox hooves, powdered and burnt eggshells and pumice.
- Use of perfume dates back to the beginning of mankind; the first perfume bottles were found in the Mediterranean in 7000 BC.